8TH GRADE HUMAN SEXUALITY AND FAMILY LIFE EDUCATION CURRICULUM OVERVIEW WITH MATERIALS
CHAPTER 5: MENTAL, EMOTIONAL, FAMILY, AND SOCIAL HEALTH
LESSON 5: PRACTICING ABSTINENCE:
1. List reasons why practicing abstinence is responsible decision.
2. Explain how to use resistance skills if there is pressure to be sexually active.
3. Identify behaviors that support the decision to practice abstinence
4. List steps teens who have been sexually active can take to change their behavior.
LESSON 6: MARRIAGE:
1. Explain the importance of honoring commitments in marriage and other relationships.
2. Discuss the problems of teen marriage.
3. Identify the problems and risks of teen parenthood
CHAPTER 3: GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
LESSON 5: THE ENDOCRINE SYSTEM
1. Describe the structure and function of the endocrine system
2. Identify physical changes in puberty
LESSON 6: THE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM
1. Describe the structure and function of the female reproductive system.
2. Explain the menstrual cycle.
3. Discuss the structure and function of the male reproductive system.
4. Discuss how body image relates to well being.
LESSON 7: PREGNANCY AND CHILDBIRTH
1. Discuss conception and pregnancy
2. Describe how a baby develops
3. Describe prenatal care
4. Discuss the process of labor and delivery
5. Discuss practicing abstinence
CHAPTER 8: COMMUNICABLE AND CHRONIC DISEASES
LESSON 3: SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES
1. Describe the facts and fallacies of how STDs spread
2. Discuss the causes, symptoms, and treatments for certain STDs
3. Discuss ways to prevent STDs by practicing abstinence and responsible behavior.
LESSON 4: HIV INFECTION AND AIDS
1. Explain how HIV destroys the immune system
2. Describe the signs of HIV infection
3. Describe how HIV is and is not spread
4. Discuss tests for, treatment of, and prevention of HIV infection
5. Tell how health care workers can protect themselves from HIV infection